This national conference series explores Christian formation for discipleship, scripture engagement, habits of daily prayer, serving the poor, and sharing the Good News. The conference will offer keynote presentations, workshops, and networking time, and will be undergirded with Eucharist and the Daily Office.
The conference will include findings from RenewalWorks, a research-based Forward Movement initiative that has identified key catalysts for spiritual vitality in congregations and for individuals. A focus on discipleship is one of those primary catalysts, based on research from nearly half a million participants across the country.
Begins: Monday, October 15 at 2:00 p.m. (registration opens 12:30)
Ends: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
Christ Church Charlotte
1412 Providence Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28207
Visit their website
Speakers & Workshops
Keynote: Robert Wright, Bishop of Atlanta
Monday Plenary: Courtney Cowart, Exec. Director, Society for the Increase of Ministry
Closing Plenary: Albert Cutié, Rector of St. Benedict’s Parish in Plantation, FL
Conversations with Anne Hodges-Copple, Suffragan Bishop of North Carolina
and with Sam Rodman, Bishop of North Carolina. Moderated by Chip Edens
Workshops (listed in alphabetical order according to last name of presenter and subject to change):
- The Christian Essentials: A Ministry to Foster Spiritual Growth, led by Amanda Anders and Matt Holcombe, Christ Church
- Sent Out Two by Two: The Transformational Power of Collaborative Ministry, led by Co-rectors Kimberlee Auletta and Sarah Koopercamp, Holy Apostles’ Church, Brooklyn, NY
- Equipping Disciples for Ministry, led by Jenny Beaumont, Christ Church staff
- Disciplesheep: Tending Your Flock of Young People, led by Cookie Cantwell, St. James’, Wilmington, NC
- Case study of a congregation focused on discipleship, led by Doyt Conn
- Helping lay leaders grow as spiritual leaders, led by Dawn Davis
- Cultivating Youth as Leaders, Alice deVries, Christ Church Youth Leader
- Justice-Making in a Disciple’s Rule of Life, led by Miguel Escobar, Episcopal Theological School at Union
- Intentional Home Group Discipleship–Forming Disciples and Eradicating Aloneness, led by Jerusalem Greer, Author, Lay Minister
- Knowing Our Story, So We Can Tell Our Story: Scripture Engagement in Your Congregation, led by Miriam McKenney and Scott Gunn, Forward Movement
- Communication for Connection, led by Makeda Pennycooke, Christ Church parishioner
- Case study of a congregation focused on discipleship, led by Bonnie Perry
- Update This Place (The Episcopal Asset Map), led by Tamara Plummer, Episcopal Relief and Development
- Empowering Lay Leaders, led by Mary Davis Smart, Christ Church parishioner
- Discipleship and public policy, led by Alan Yarborough, Episcopal Church Office of Government Relations
- Lay leadership for discipleship: a panel of parishioners from St. James, Wilmington, NC, St. James’, NYC and Christ Church, Charlotte
Discipleship Matters draft schedule (updated 8.20.18)
$125 early bird, through August 31
$175 after August 31
$75 for seminarians, missionaries, church planters
This includes all conference materials and 5 meals onsite at Christ Church. Lodging and transportation arrangements are not included with registration and should be arranged individually. More details about hotel blocks, travel, meals, etc. here.
Did you miss our 2017 Discipleship Matters Conference?
Check out the videos